SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layers that are cryptographic protocols. Secure Sockets Layers are designed to give communications security to a computer network. A different version of the SSL can be used in applications such as web browsing, voice over IP, email, and instant messaging. Websites use SSL to protect and secure all their communications. Basically, there are three types of SSL certificates
- Domain Validation SSL: A domain validated certificate is an x.509 digital certificate. This certificate is commonly used for Transport layers security in which the name of the domain is validated by proving some control over a DNS domain. The certificate provider will carry a Domain validation to a purchaser. On the other side, the purchaser can demonstrate one vetting criterion and can manage a domain name.
- Organization Validation SSL: An organization validation class certificate will be issued to the purchaser in two sorts. First, the right to administer and manage the domain name in query. Second, legal entity of the organization existence. The purchaser will get OV through its certificate policy.
- Extended Validation SSL: An extended Validation certificate is a high conforming t x.509. It proves the legal entity of the owner. After signing it, EV certificate can be issued. On the other side, the EV certificate can be used for X.509 certificates and web securing communications. You can check SSL configuration at masters dissertation help.
Steps to Configure It Accurately
SSL certificates are related to the website and services earning validation for the encryption on the data send between owner and clients. SSL was released due to security flaws in the protocol. Here, we are following some steps to configure SSL accurately. By following these steps, you can use it for your website security purposes.
Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
You should generate a CRS on your server before the installation of an SSL certificate. Fill the information file that is consisted of your IP address, as well as public key information. By using Apache, you can download it.
- Start with open SSL unity
- Enter your IP address
- Generate a passphrase
- Start the CSR generation process
- Fill out the information that is required on the page
- Write the name of the city and town
- Section name as well as a domain name
- Create the CSR file on your server
Order your SSL certificate
Before ordering your SSL certificate, make sure that this service is trustworthy and reputable. Check its customers’ security. Numerous services are offering SSL certificates, but you should select the best service. DigiCert, Global Sign and Symantec are the most famous and reliable services that you can use. Upload your CSR file to the certificate service and place your order.
Download your certificate
After ordering your SSL certificate, you need to download the intermediate certificate that you have purchased. Make sure that you have received a primary Certificate via email. If your certificates are in a text file, you should convert it into CRT file before uploading it. Create the keys that you have downloaded. Make sure that there are 5 dashes on begin and end of certificate lines. Confirm that there is no other space into between the keys.
Upload your SSL certificate to your server
Put should certificate into a folder that is dedicated to certificates and key files. All of your certificates should be saved in the same folder.
Open the “httpd.conf” files in a text editor
After opening httpd.conf” file in a text editor, you should follow the Virtual Host section. Change your file, you should restart your server. Now Confirm this step, test your certificate.