One of the prevalent error messages that Outlook users encounter is the Outlook send receive error 0x80040610. As the name suggests, this message completely hinders you from getting and sending email messages. For people who aren’t tech-savvy, the problem can be difficult to resolve. It is tricky to pinpoint a specific cause of the issue as there are many.
From your antivirus program to suspicious emails and incorrect Outlook email settings, the causes are many. Still, you can implement certain methods to fix the glitch quickly. This piece will show you exactly how to troubleshoot this error message whenever it arises.
Ways to Fix Send Receive Error in Outlook
Read these easy ways to fix this specific error. They are not difficult to understand. So, you’ll be able to overcome the issue independently.
1. Turn off your Security Program
Antivirus programs often cause interference with the settings of Outlook. In most instances, they’re the culprit behind problems such as send and receive errors. Here is how you can disable your security program.
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ and pick ‘Network Connections.’
- Right-tap on the ‘Network Connection’ option.
- Now choose ‘Properties.’
- Below the ‘Security’ tab, in the Properties section, locate the ‘Firewall’ option.
- Turn it off and check if you are still facing this issue.
2. Fix the Email Settings of Outlook
Wrong email settings are another common cause of send receive error outlook. Configure your email settings properly through these points.
- Launch Outlook and tap the ‘File’ option.
- Tap ‘Account Settings.’ Follow it up by tapping the same from the drop-down.
- In the window of Account Settings, tap the ‘Change’ option.
- After that, tap ‘More Settings.’
- Now, choose ‘Outgoing server.’
- Set a tick on the ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication’ checkbox.
- Now place a tick beside the ‘Log onto incoming server before sending mail’ checkbox.
- Begin Outlook again and check if the error has been resolved.
3. Repair your Outlook
Sometimes, a simple repair process of the Outlook application is capable of getting rid of error 0x80040610. You can easily retrieve the usual functioning of Outlook by repairing it.
- Head to the area of ‘Settings.’
- Find the app list and from it, select ‘Microsoft Outlook.’
- Below its name, you will see ‘Advanced Options.’
- Choose it and tap ‘Repair.’
- Irrespective of the type or version of MS Outlook you are using, you can carry out this process.
- But remember that if you are Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, or 2010 user, you’ll get the ‘Repair’ option below ‘Programs and Features.’
- From there, you can select ‘Uninstall’ followed by ‘Outlook’ and then ‘Change’ followed by ‘Repair.’
4. Empty the Windows Update Cache Folder
Another somewhat technical method to fix Outlook send/receive error is to clean the folder of Windows updates. Here are the easy instructions to follow.
- With the Windows key pressed, hit the R key.
- A window will display.
- Here, input ‘%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore’
- Now, click ‘OK.’
- The Windows Explorer will open.
- Remove every item in this folder.
- Now, head to ‘Windows Services’ and right-click on ‘Windows Update.’
- Select ‘Start’ and check the status of the problem.
5. Employ the System File Checker
The System File Checker, or SFC, is a built-in utility that examines your file system. Here are the points to run it.
- Tap ‘Start’ and type ‘cmd’ in the search area.
- The cmd will display as a black icon.
- Right-tap it and choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- When prompted for the admin password, input it and tap ‘OK.’
- A black window will launch. Here you can directly input commands.
- Enter ‘sfc/scannow’ and hit Enter.
- This procedure will take quite a bit of time.
- If you have other work on your PC, minimize this window and continue working.
- Return to this window when the process completes.
- Upon its completion, start your system again.
The Outlook send receive error makes it impossible for users to access their emails. The methods in this article are pretty straightforward yet effective. But if you require more assistance, contact expert email technical professionals.